Louis Vierne, 1870-1937
Vierne and the French organ tradition
- The newest Louis Vierne web site (Le site ouèbe Louis Vierne) by two French engineering students, Unger and Viaud, in Nantes - for the moment, in French only. This is a truly fine site, well-planned and offering solid content. A rich and original contribution to the web community. You are encouraged to visit it, whatever your knowledge of French. Commentary on all of Vierne's works.
- the harmonium works of Louis Vierne, with downloadable MIDI files of
selected pieces from the 24 Pieces in free style). An important contribution. Perhaps the web's foremost earliest contribution to Vierne. A well-researched first-rate site. A delight to explore.
- exceptional articles on Charles-Marie Widor, Marcel Dupré, and the symphonic organ tradition,
by Prof. Sylvain Caron, D. Mus., of the University of Montréal. Very highly recommended. (in French)
- Vierne: The Man and
His Music - a long article with a detailed review of the
six organ symphonies and also the other major works for organ,
within the context of Vierne's life, by an organist and radio-show
host, Eric A Meece. Visitors can hear (in RealAudio
courtesy of station KKUP) three famous pieces by Vierne lasting altogether
about 15 minutes, within an edition of Meece's hour-long radio program.
- Maurice Duruflé
- biography, list of works, recordings, audio files, photographs pertaining
to his life and to organ. An excellent site, quite complete. Remember, it was
Duruflé who was by Vierne's side when he died at the organ in the
course of a recital at Notre-Dame the evening of 2 June 1937.
- Jean Langlais website.
- Jean Guillou, resident organist
at the Church of St-Eustache, Paris - the continuing tradition which combines interpretation, inprovisation, and composition - thriving today.
(sur le site de l'ARGOS, par Antoine Pietrini)
- The Grand Organ of
Church of Saint Sulpice, Paris - history, specifications,
pictures, discography, concert calendar and programmes, etc.
by Ben Epstein (at FranceTélécom).
- FFAO - la Fédération Francophone des Amis de l'Orgue (the French-speaking Federation of Friends of the Organ) has a wonderful site, including an up-to-date online newsletter.
Some other composer sites
- Gabriel Fauré - an excellent and attractive site, quite complete - detailed biography, works, CD reviews, high-quality MPEG-3 audio soundclips, many photographs, news, and more. Part of a larger site with a fin-de-siècle theme, also encompassing the Boulanger page (listed next), all by Susan Martin.
- Lili and Nadia Boulanger
- another complete "composers page" within the broader cultural site L'Horizon Chimérique.
Some organ sites
- The Wanamaker organ,
in Philadelphia, USA - the page of the Friends of the Wanamaker Organ,
based in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. An instrument situated in the grand
hall of what is now the Lord & Taylor department store
(formerly Wanamaker's). Information, brochure, recordings (CD and cassette).
Tous droits de reproduction
réservés ©1997,1998 par le website Louis Vierne
Noter que le website Louis Vierne est l'oeuvre de quelques
admirateurs de sa musique, et n'a aucun rapport avec toute autre
institution. Le sitekeeper
est seul résponable pour le contenu du website.
Dernière mise à jour:
sam 28 mars 04:21 UTC 1998