|Eight Motions of the Earth|
- Continental Drift - (1 to 8 inches per year)
North America is moving westward at 3 inches per year..
- Earth's Rotation on its Axis - (1,035 mph)
Slowing at the rate of 1/1000 second per century.
- Precession of the Earth's Axis - (26,000 year cycle)
By 14,000 A.D. the star Vega will replace Polaris as the North Star.
- Polar Variation - (14 month cycle) Chandler Wobble mystery solved (JPL)
Each pole wanders in a circle with a 10-to-50- ft. diameter.
- Earth's Revolution Around the Sun (19 miles per second)
- Motion of the Solar System Through the Galaxy (12.4 miles per second)
In the direction of the star Vega in the constellation Lyra..
- Revolution Around the Center of the Galaxy (185 miles per second)
In direction of the constellation Cygnus. (225 million year cycle)
- The Galaxy's Motion Through the Universe (375 miles per second)
Hubble's Law and the Expansion of the Universe
Disclaimer: These are 8 motions - or variations in motion - that the earth makes, and there are others as well. The approximate speeds were not verified by authoritative sources so they should be checked with authoritative references.
Copyright © 1995, 1998, 2001
beam me up Scotty ...